TEMPORARY CLOSING of the
                         AVERY DRAWINGS & ARCHIVES DEPARTMENT

The Drawings and Archives Department will be moving into the new Wallach
Study Center in late 2002.  The new facilities will greatly improve the
conditions for collections, staff, and patrons alike.  In order to
accomplish the move in a manner that will ensure the safe and orderly
re-location of the collections, the Department will be closed to the public
for a period of four months.  Depending on the progress of the construction
schedule, this period will begin on approximately October 1, 2002 and run
through February 1, 2003.  An updated schedule will be posted during the
summer of 2002 as construction proceeds.

Appointments to view collections: Normal service will continue until
September 30, after which the collection will be closed for packing and
final preparations for the move.  Depending on accessibility, the
collection may open on a limited basis after January 1, and will re-open to
the public for normal service on February 1,, 2003.

Reference:  Normal service until September 30.  From October 1 until the
start of the move, staff will try to answer reference inquiries as time and
the packing schedule allow.  During the move, general questions will be
referred to the Avery Reference Desk.  Specific questions about the
collections of the Drawings and Archives Department will be answered after
the completion of the physical move and the installation of email and
telephone connections are completed.  Normal reference service will resume
on February 1, 2003.

Reprography:  Because this service for Avery materials (books, drawings,
and archival materials) is handled by the staff of the Drawings and
Archives Department, the following changes will be in effect during the
period of October 1, 2002 to February 1, 2003:
1.      As access to the physical objects will be severely curtailed during
the move, it is highly unlikely that orders for new photography for items
from the Drawings and Archives can be handled during this period.
2.      Requests for items for which negatives are on file (books,
drawings, and archival materials) will be handled during this period to the
best of our ability.
3.      New photography for Classics and open stack books will be accepted
and scheduled as usual.  See the reprography policy on the Avery homepage at:
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/indiv/avery/averepro.html
NB If there is a decrease in the number of photographic orders, the
turnaround time may be longer than usual.  Please check with staff to
ascertain delivery date of specific orders.
4.      There will be no photocopying of items from the archival
collections during this period.
The Drawings and Archives Department will be open for normal service from
now until September 30, including the summer months, and we look forward to
seeing many of past patrons as well as new ones during that time.  We hope
that with this advance notice, our users will be able to arrange their
research schedules around our closing.  We regret the reduced hours and
services, but anticipate that the advantages of the new facilities in the
Wallach Study Center will outweigh any inconveniences the closing may
cause.  If there are any special or emergency circumstances you may contact
Janet Parks at 212-854-6738 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask]