Dear Colleagues,
Filtering and the Internet should definitely be an issue for ARLIS/NA.
This semester I am teaching a 3-credit course called Introduction to
Information Literacy.  We came to the session where we discuss
censorship.  I wanted to show my students Andres Serrano's Piss Christ.  My
image search was conducted on Google and up came two images of the
photograph and two icons.  Knowing this should not be the result, I noticed
my computer was automatically(?) set on "moderate filtering (filter both
explicit text and explicit images)."  Without the filtering, I received 177
hits.  Who decided this image should be censored and why?  We must prevent
this sort of thing from happening to works of art.
What are some of things we could do?
Susan Travis
Lecturer
University of Rhode Island