Ted:

My take on the travel awards is that few persons of color who live and work
in the United States and work as art librarians or in art libraries in the
past have received those awards.  I know of several persons of color
(including myself) who have applied twice and have been denied both times.
In a recent case, I heard a person applied three times before she was given
the award!  In addition, I know committee chairs appoint their committees
(usually persons they feel comfortable with, people who are like them and
look like them).  My question, how much of the appointment process stifles
committee processes and produces biases?  I guess there is no easy answer to
this question.

National standards for increasing ethnic and racial diversity in
librarianship already exist.  When ALA talks about increasing the numbers of
librarians of color in librarianship, they are talking about Hispanics,
African-Americans, Asian-Americans, and Native Americans and Pacific
Islanders (which are known as under-represented groups) and not everyone
under the sun.  http://www.ala.org/diversity

In regards to the conversation I had with B.J., the Ethnic Caucus seeks to
support library school students of color to attend ARLIS/NA Conferences to
introduce them to art librarianship.  If we can expose them to the field via
a conference, maybe down the road they will consider art librarianship as a
career option.

Miguel Juarez, Assistant Librarian
Art, Art Education, Art History, Photography
Center for Creative Photography Library
University of Arizona Library
P.O. Box 210103, Tucson, AZ  85721-0103
Phone: (520) 626-9434/FAX: (520) 621-9444