Dear Marilyn (and others contemplating similar transfers):
    I would suggest that you do not transfer the Gazette des Beaux-Arts, at least those up to about 1920, to open stacks.
    Many of these contain original etchings, drypoints and lithographs by well-known artists, including Camille Pissarro, Anders Zorn, Paul Helleu, John Marin, Joseph Pennell, Renoir, Albert Besnard, and others.  These would disappear in a flash and end up in an E-Bay auction commanding several hundred dollars each.  Although they are not signed, many of these still have auction records.  Beware.  I would also suggest to those librarians who have issues or runs of Camera Notes, Camera Work and even late 19th century photographic journals such as Photographic Times, to place them beyond the reach of clippers, if they not already been stripped of their photogravures, which dealers for the past twenty years have regrettably been marketing as if they were original prints.
    Raymond Smith / R.W. Smith Bookseller
    New Haven, Ct.