Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues:
This is a memo regarding College Art Association
conference participation.  These opportunities
are open only to CAA members, so those of you
who are not interested may wish to delete at this
point.

Still with me?  Those of you who are CAA members
should, by now, have received in the mail your
"Call for Participation" for the 91st annual
conference in New York, February 19-22, 2003.
If you have not, the details are also available
on the CAA website at
http://www.collegeart.org/caa/conference/2003/callforparticipation.html

To recap CAA's conference procedure briefly: Last
summer, CAA solicited session proposals.  Their
conference committee evaluated the submissions and
chose 125 (by my count) session topics for the
upcoming 2003 conference.  Now, the chairs of those
sessions are soliciting papers for their panels.

I'd like to encourage you to review the panel topics.
Some of the sessions speak directly to areas of art
librarian expertise.  I call your attention to:
"Search/Research: Artists in the Archives" (p. 10
of the mailer), with thanks to Sherman Clark for
flagging this one.  How about: "Online Education:
Teaching, Learning and Professional Concerns"
(p. 5 of the mailer).  Or still another: "The Work
of Art in the Age of Digital Reproduction:
Appropriation, Copyright and the Public Sphere"
(p. 13).  Your library point-of-view on these
topics may be just what the chair is looking for
to round out his/her panel.

If you feel you can contribute to a session, this
is the time to submit your paper proposals directly
to the session chairs. **THE DEADLINE IS MAY 13.**
(A one to two page double-spaced preliminary
abstract is all that is needed on your paper
content at this point, and some background
documents such as CV, letter of interest, etc.
See the mailer or website for details.)

If your paper is selected, a final abstract
is due August 30, and  the paper itself is
due December 2.  The conference is February, 2003.

In recent years, CAA has been actively soliciting
participation for its conferences that goes beyond
the traditional 20-minute art history scholarly
paper.  It is encouraging professional practice
contributions as well as scholarly research.
Why not send in your idea?  (And let me know
the result!)

Relating to the 2003 conference as well, I'm
happy to report that there was a proposal to
develop a short-session affiliated society
panel for the New York conference--and we hope
to report more news on that panel soon.

NOW LET'S LOOK TOWARD THE FUTURE (because the
lead-time on CAA conferences is long indeed):

It is not too early to begin developing proposals
for the CAA 92nd annual conference, scheduled for
Seattle in early 2004.  The call for 2-l/2 hour
CAA-vetted session topics will go out in a few
weeks.  Simultaneously, we should begin to
think of proposals for our 1-l/2 hour ARLIS/NA
affiliated society session.

I don't want to distract your attention from
the proposal call at hand, but please keep the
next year's conference in mind as you review
the sessions on the table.  Look for ways we can
continue the dialog, or reframe it to incorporate
contributions from the library sector.  And be
prepared with ideas at the session topic level
in late May.

Finally, a word of thanks for your patient attention
to this long email.  If you have additional
questions (could I possibly have left out a
detail?), my email address is below.

Linda Duychak
ARLIS/NA-CAA Liaison
ARLIS/NA NARC Committee