Colleagues:

Fair warning: this is a pretty long message.  I've just finished reading both
of Layna White's articles on cataloging of museum objects and Maria Oldal's
article on alternate vocabularies in the most recent Art Documentation and I
wanted to thank them and the Art Doc editors for providing them for us.
Layna's article on EAD and Maria's on alternative vocabularies are full of
helpful web citations.  They are well-written and really interesting to me.
I think that as automated catalogs have become commonplace in museum,
library, and archive collections and as those catalogs go online on the web,
librarians, museum collection managers, and archivists face similar issues.
In a nutshell: although (in libraries--and somewhat less so in museums) we
have developed standard vocabularies and standard metadata structures, the
capabilties and internal searching strategies of our software systems are
still quite different from each other--and this is in large part due to
economic disparities between institutions.  Yet there are obviously important
specialized collections in some of the smaller art museums and art libraries
and access to their collections would benefit us all.   (A related issue is
that there are still a lot of libraries that cannot pay to access cataloging
utilities such as OCLC or RLIN--or think they can't.  This latter issue may
be more one of perception than reality.  I have no experience with RLIN or
any other utility besides OCLC, but OCLC's cost structure is complex and it
is difficult for librarians in small libraries, who don't have a lot of time
to do the necessary research, to do the cost-benefit analysis.)

As Layna White points out, museums are only beginning to come to grips with
the issue of consistency of vocabularies for searching for objects across
more than one collection.  Although research libraries have adopted standards
(generally the Library of Congress Subject Headings) for their library
catalogs, they are also struggling more now with issues of consistency as
more library catalogs come online and special libraries that have been using
non-standard vocabularies are facing the fact that without adequate
cross-referencing structures, their specialized vocabularies can cause
additional confusion to the user.  I have had to face this problem with the
alternate subject headings I used in the Craft & Folk Art Museum catalog
(where I was the librarian) when it was integrated with that of the L.A.
County Museum of Art Library (where I work now).  At CAFAM my catalog
software was not sophisticated enough to include authority files (which
include the cross-references) so in the LACMA catalog you will find works on
ceramic art listed under both "Pottery" (the LC standard) and "Ceramic art"
(the CAFAM choice).  To make matters worse, there is a cross-reference in
LC's "Pottery" authority record (which has been downloaded into the LACMA
catalog) from "Ceramic art" to "Pottery."  This is only one of many
alternative CAFAM terms I am now having to reckon with, going through all the
CAFAM records and, in most cases, changing them to conform to LC or making
sure that each record includes at least one LC term.  As I go about changing
my "Native North Americans" back to "Indians of North America" and "Craft"
back to "Handicraft," this seems like a retrograde process, but I had to come
to grips with the fact that patrons were more likely to find the records they
wanted if subject headings were entered consistently, albeit with terminology
that may be inappropriate.

In our online world, searchers have to be ever more aware that catalogs are
not consistent--even within the same library or museum catalog--and that
cross-referencing structures may not be adequate.  CAFAM's records are not
the only ones in the LACMA catalog that are not consistent.  Over time, even
within the same catalog, inconsistencies arise.  And when LC makes changes to
its subject headings (e.g., Afro American was recently changed to African
American and Handicapped to Disabled) it is not always practical for
catalogers to go through the whole catalog and make those changes
retrospectively to all of a library's records.  Because a subject heading may
have many subheadings, arranged in different ways depending on the particular
record, the "global change" computer function is of only limited usefulness.
Nevertheless, some catalogers are making the effort in some cases.

Maria Oldal's article on alternative vocabularies in the same issue of Art
Doc is a very good (and hopeful) overview.  As she clearly points out, in
spite of the above problems of consistency, alternative vocabularies are
being used more often, rather than less.  As someone who has dealt with
hundreds of problematic terms in the fields of craft and folk art, this makes
me happy.  But the fact is that our software systems still do not adequately
compensate.  Keyword searching is a tremendous help, but if the words you are
looking for do not exist somewhere in a record, a keyword search will not
find it.

I think that most serious researchers know that in order to locate everything
they want, they have to be persistent and enter many different kinds of
searches for the same thing, but many casual users (and even librarians who
are not catalogers or museum staff who are not collections managers) don't
fully grasp this concept and give up in confusion.  I don't have an answer
for this other than good, consistent, reality-based instruction to users of
our catalogs.  Some web search engines now provide "cross-walks" and
transparent cross-referencing of which the searcher may not even be aware.  I
believe that this kind of function may already be available in the more
recent versions of larger catalog software systems.  But it will be a very
long time, perhaps never, before it is available to smaller libraries.  And
yet, even small library catalogs are now available on the web as the cost of
some very basic systems becomes affordable.

In doing a survey recently of small art museum libraries, I became aware that
many librarians who also function as catalogers in small libraries (with
small budgets) are using their ability to access online catalogs for free as
an alternative to paying to belong to a cataloging utility such as OCLC or
RLIN.  Since these librarians are not, in many cases, experienced
catalogers--and sometimes they do not have access to standard cataloging
tools either in print or online--they are sometimes unknowingly copying
records into their catalogs that are non-standard.  I want to believe that in
the long run more access is better, even if flawed, and I hope--and
believe--that technology will eventually resolve these glitches in our brave
new world.  In the meantime, for makers and users of library and museum
catalogs, as with "buyers" everywhere: caveat emptor!

Joan M. Benedetti