--On Tuesday, April 16, 2002 11:13 AM -0700 Anne Blecksmith
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The ARLIS/NA Southern California Chapter is looking for 4 - 5 local
> individuals to participate in a Roundtable Discussion on Collections
> Management at our upcoming summer meeting to be hosted by the University
> of California, San Diego on July 19th and 20th, 2002. The Roundtable is
> tentatively scheduled for the late morning or afternoon of Friday, July
> 19th.
>
> Presentations should be 10 to 15 minutes in length, and can cover any
> issues related to Collections Management. Possible topics could include:
>
> Collection analysis and development
> Conservation and preservation of materials
> Space planning
> Traditional vs. new resources
> User studies
> Weeding
>
> Individual presentations will be followed by an informal question and
> answer session. There will be a small honoraria offered to speakers to
> offset travel costs to the meeting.
>
> Please submit a one page abstract by May 17, 2002 to Anne Blecksmith,
> ARLIS/SC Secretary (see my signature below). Email attachments are
> preferred.
>
> We are looking forward to sharing in all of your experiences, and we hope
> to have a wonderful and enlightening meeting!
Have any of you on the list seen any of the the Watson-Guptill series of
"Crash Course" books?  If you have experienced them, would you recommend
them?... for students
who need to understand a particular time period quickly.. where surveys
and/or an encyclopedia is only somewhat helpful?
I just saw two citations for Modern Art and Renaissance Art.
The Modern Art one, for example, looks to be loaded with images, and
contains info on major movements, a glossary and a time line.
One of our vendors cites this as "popular", though, I'm for whatever works.

Mo

Mo Dawley
Art and Drama Librarian
http://www.library.cmu.edu/bySubject/Art