Dear ARLIS wisdom,

Since I have received many more requests to summarize and post the responses received, than actual answers to my query, it appears to me that this is a topic which begs for some information sharing. If anyone has a recommendation about good quality flatbed scanners for use in arts libraries, I am certain your colleagues would appreciate the information. It would be helpful to specify the brand, model, whether the scanner is color or black/white, and if the scanner can accommodate oversized items (e.g. 11 x 17)  or the actual size of the document the scanner can accommodate. Please describe why you like the scanner, e.g. reliability, speed, image quality / resolution, ease of use of software, extra features such as attached peripherals. Also, if you would like to share the actual price, or some basic price range info. this would be helpful.

Thanks again to those responded, and I hope the information assists others needing this information. Could we continue with some recommendations if anyone has information to share?

Best,
Margaret Ericson
Art and Music Librarian
Colby College

John Anderies, Music Librarian at Haverford College, is using the Umax PowerLook and is quite happy with it. He provided a list of scanners to follow up on which are color flatbed scanners that can accommodate oversized materials.

"You might check out these scanners:
Bell & Howell 1000FB - around $900
Microtek ScanMaker 6400XL - around $1000
Microtek ScanMaker 9600XL - around $1500
Umax PowerLook 2100XL - around $1550
Epson GT-10000 - around $1600
Ricoh IS01 Image Scanner - around $1675
All of these are 11x17 or 12x17 flatbed scanners and depending when and
where you buy, each one could conceivably be less than $1500. They come
with different features (for instance, the Bell & Howell and the Ricoh come
with document feeders built in; some have transparency scanners and so on).
Several have been reviewed on the web (just look up the name and number of
the scanner on any search engine). I myself am looking most seriously at
the Umax for a digital score imaging project.
Good luck! "

John F. Anderies
Music Librarian
Haverford College
370 Lancaster Ave.
Haverford, PA 19041-1392
From Paul T. Jackson, Trescott Research<[log in to unmask]>

Here is a thread from another list on oversize scanners.
http://library.wustl.edu/~listmgr/imagelib/Nov1996/0019.html

From Patricia Stroh, The Beethoven Center, San Jose State University

Our Epson Expression 1640XL large format flatbed scanner does an excellent job.

From John Laurence Poole
http://www.editionspoole.com

I use and recommend the Ricoh IS0-1. You can scan a
full 11 x 17 at 400dpi - black and white. The IS0-1
has been around for a while and is a proven technology;
the scanner portion is used on a variety of machine as
the digitizing interface (i.e., copiers, digital printers).
....The amount of time it takes to scan is very important
--- the time it takes to scan...ends up being greatly affected by the time
the scanner actually takes to be ready to scan a new image.
A slow scanner can turn a 1 hour scan job into 3 hours.
For the price point, the IS0-1 is very competitive.
http://www.ricoh-usa.com/productshowroom/scanners/is01/?usa
buy.com has it for sale for $1,631
http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10010170

Sha Towers

Margaret, take a look at the Epson Expression 1640XL.
it's pricey, but it's one of the few scanners that will accomodate larger score formats. We've
used this scanner for large imaging projects of 19th century sheet music.

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] Administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]