Hello everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank Rodica Preda and Sherman Clarke for
moderating a terrific joint Cataloging Section/Cataloging Problems
Discussion Group meeting. It was so successful that Sherman and I are
planning on collaborating again next year in Baltimore.

Thanks too, to Ann Copeland, Special Collections Cataloging Librarian, Penn
State University, for volunteering to be Vice-Moderator/Moderator-Elect for
2002-2003 and to Amy Trendler, Catalog, Reference Librarian, Art Institute
of Chicago who graciously agreed to be the recorder for the entire
joint-meeting.

The conversation was lively and thought provoking.  We touched on many
important issues such as the cataloging of artist files and sales catalogs
and the construction of LCSH headings and their meanings (i.e. Installations
(Art) vs. Site-specific art).  So while we are all still energized and
motivated from the conference I want to encourage all of you to consider
submitting a conference session proposal for next year in Baltimore.

Sections do not have to sponsor session proposals, as was the custom in
previous years, and the formats have been expanded;  single papers,  panel
discussions, opposing viewpoints (two presenters with opposite views on an
issue - How about USMARC and LCSH for visual materials - that could be a
lively topic for this one!), workshops, or poster sessions.  Please see the
ARLIS/NA website <http://www.arlisna.org/proposals.html> for more
information on the formats and requirements for proposals.  If you would
like help from the Cataloging Section with a proposal, please do not
hesitate to contact me <[log in to unmask]>.  That's what I'm here
for!

Proposals should be submitted directly to Joan Stahl, 2003 Program Committee
Co-Chair, Image and Electronic Resources Administrator, Smithsonian American
Art Museum, Room 3112, 750 9th Street, Washington, DC 20560-0970, Tel.:
(202) 275-1542, Fax: (202) 275-1707, Email: [log in to unmask]  Or,
proposals may be submitted online at: http://www.arlisna.org/proposals.html
The deadline for submission is May 1, 2002, so don't delay!

Lori Thorrat, Moderator, Cataloging Section

Elected members for the Cataloging Section are:
Moderator: Lori Thorrat
Vice-Moderator: Ann Copeland, Special Collections Cataloging Librarian, Penn
State University, [log in to unmask]
Update Editor: Mark Bresnan, Head, Bibliographic Records  [log in to unmask]

Lori Ann Thorrat
Head Cataloger
Ingalls Library - Cleveland Museum of Art
11150 East Blvd.
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
tel. 216-707-2557
fax 216-421-0921
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  (**note new address**)