Greetings,

As you know from my previous message, I am on a committee that is working
on Revision of Guidelines for Promotion and "Tenure" for Faculty
Librarians.  I have another question for you.

If faculty librarians in your institution are expected to publish, give
papers, do research, etc., etc., what does your institution do to
ENCOURAGE such work?

Some institutions provide the faculty librarians with a sabbatical leave,
others provide such librarians with one day per week to work on research
and writing, some institutions' librarians have nine-month contracts to
allow the faculty opportunities to write, do research, and obtain higher
degrees.

What does YOUR institution do to encourage this level of professional
development?

Please reply as soon as you can!  Thanks again!  Ray Anne

                                Ray Anne Lockard
                         Head, Frick Fine Arts Library
                           University Library System
                            University of Pittsburgh
                             Pittsburgh, PA  15260
                              Voice:  412-648-2410
                                Fax:  412-648-7568
                          E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

                A book should be a ball of light in one's hands.
                                   Ezra Pound