Now that everyone will be arriving in less than a week, we realize that many of you may be wondering precisely how to use the Metrolink to get from the airport to the conference. Public transportation works a little differently depending on the city, and St. Louis is no exception. To help you navigate our Metrolink system from the airport to the hotel, we are providing you with relatively foolproof, step-by-step instructions, so that you won't still be fumbling with the ticket machines while you watch "your" train pull away from the station. Follow these simple steps, and your experience with Metrolink should be nothing but pleasant.

Once you de-plane, follow the signs that take you to the Metrolink station. If you land in the Main Terminal, turn left (east) after retrieving your bags at the baggage claim and follow the signs. If you land in the East Terminal (which you will do if you are flying on Southwest airlines), follow the signs through the East Terminal Parking Garage to the Metrolink stop.

You need to purchase your ticket before getting on your train. Have your money ready before you get there, ideally in crisp single bills. The cost of a single-ride ticket from either airport terminal is $3 (an act of price gouging, to be sure. It is $1.25 everywhere else. But still cheaper than taking a taxi!). To purchase a ticket, select your ticket choice (one way, single ride) before putting your money into the machine. Then put in your money. Your ticket will drop. Validate your ticket by sliding it into the red ticket validator. Please note that if you are using the Main Terminal station, you will have to purchase your ticket before ascending the escalator up to the platform.

Once on the platform, take the Eastbound train, which runs from the Airport-Main to the "College" stop in Illinois. If you are leaving from the Main Terminal, all trains are Eastbound. If you are leaving from the East Terminal, please double check to make certain you are on the Eastbound Train. You will not be asked to display your ticket before you get on the train, or run it through a ticket reader. Instead, your ticket may be randomly checked on the train. PLEASE KEEP YOUR TICKET HANDY FOR THE ENTIRE RIDE, in the event that you are asked to display your ticket to the conductor. A big fine (and the pleasure of being gawked at by your fellow riders) awaits those who can't offer up a valid ticket.

Take the Eastbound Train to the Union Station stop. The stops immediately prior to Union Station are "Central West End" and "Grand," so be prepared to detrain following these stops. We suggest positioning yourself near a door, in the event that a downtown sporting event fills up the train.

Once detraining at Union Station, you are only a block or two away from the hotel. Make certain that you take the elevator on the WEST side of the platform, and not the stairs on the east side of the platform (which will take you to a side street). There is only one elevator, bordered by stairs. Don't miss it.

Once you leave the elevator, you will find yourself on a sidewalk at the edge of the parking lot for the Union Station complex. Walk along 18th street using the sidewalk (north toward Union Station, of course) one block to Market Street. Turn left (west), walk up a new wide ramp to three wooden doors, through which is the Grand Hall. Or, to have a bellman pick up your bags continue past the ramp about halfway up the block, and you will find yourself at the valet parking area for the Hyatt. The very nice Hyatt employees at this entrance can assist you in entering the hotel lobby, which is just a few short feet away! We suggest this route instead of cutting through Union Station (unless it is raining).it can be crowded, and the route is circuitous. If do you find yourself wandering the mall, just ask a friendly security guard to point you in the direction of the elderly elevator that will take you up to the hotel registration desk.

For more information about transportation from the airport, please take a look at the Lambert Airport Ground Transportation instructions at http://www.lambert-stlouis.com/groundtrans/index.htm. If you arrive after 8p.m., we strongly suggest that you explore other transportation options, particularly if you are traveling alone. The Lambert Airport website will point you in the direction of shuttle and taxi choices.

We want your trip to the hotel to be as easy as possible. PLEASE contact us if you have any questions or concerns. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Marianne Cavanaugh and Betha Whitlow

ARLIS/NA-VRA 2002 Local Arrangements Co-Chairs

New East Terminal Metrolink Station can be accessed through East Terminal Parking