I've been looking into this lately also. I would love to get vendor
recommendations for printing, as well as specific preservation issues to
be aware of. I got one quote from our regular printer: $885 for 1000 3x4"
single-color acid-free crack-n-peel labels. Gaylord has something similar
listed in their catalog for much less, but I have not yet investigated.

I'm sympathetic with the desire to keep labelling minimally intrusive, as
well as the need to use archivally-correct materials. But I think you have
to balance that against a legal interest in ownership marks, the
historical value of identifying the collection, and the PR value of
recognizing donors. Perhaps rare materials could be individually boxed,
and the bookplate (and call numbers etc) affixed to the enclosure.

James Mitchell
Librarian, The Shirley K. Schlafer Library
American Folk Art Museum
45 West 53rd St.
New York, NY 10019
(212) 265-1040 x110