Ray Anne,
I think this is a wonderful subject.
I collect heavily in the contemporary art area and though I collect for a
studio base
(we don't have a degreed art history program here-but a heavy emphasis on
critical and cultural theory) I think many of the issues of collecting may
be similar.

Just a few ideas to think about for such a session as regards collecting
for currency:
--Collecting exhibition catalogs (can be close in currency to journals)
--Collecting major publications for things such as national and
international contemporary biennials/triennials (e.g. Documenta, Bienale di
Venezia)
--Approval plans with reputable distributors of exhibition catalogs and
small press items such as Worldwide Books
-Access to current journal literature (more and more accessible as
full-text on the web - though admitedly sans pictures often)
-Contacts outside publishing including artists, attendance at artists
conferences, artists, art historians, art faculty in your institution and
region.

I would love also to see a session with catalogers explaining the sturm und
drang of cataloging contemporary works when cross-disciplinary works are
becoming more and more prevalent - and where you can't very easily put
things into sculpture painting printmaking and drawing anymore.  I'm having
a harder and harder time trying to explain to my students, patrons etc. the
reasoning behind how new media are cataloged!

Mo

--On Friday, March 01, 2002 4:41 PM -0500 Ray Anne Lockard
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I have been fortunate in working WITH a new faculty member in developing
> a collection in contemporary art in a collection that had never
> purchsaed in that area.  This past year, we have done some good things
> and will continue to do so in the coming years.
>
> I would like to propose a session for Baltimore on the special
> challenges and opportunities for collecting in this area of art
> history.  I think it would be a good session that could be sponsored by
> Academic Libraries Division as well as the New Art Round Table.  Just
> two of the challenges are gathering material when contemporary artists
> are not published until later in their careers AND the forms that
> contemporary art takes continually morph into new media.  And then there
> is the global perspective of contemporary art to consider.
>
> When I put together proposals, I like to approach the subject from four
> different perspectives.  I may well have a faculty member who is
> interested in speaking to us.  I would like to have a vendor and or
> publisher participate in such a session.  Do any of you - my colleagues
> - have any ideas for such a session?  Would you find such a session
> useful to you?
>
> Thanks, Ray Anne
>
> --
> Ray Anne Lockard, Head Librarian
> Frick Fine Arts Library
> University of Pittsburgh
> Pittsburgh, PA  15260
> Voice:  412-648-2411
> Fax:  412-648-7568
> E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
>
> "A book should be a ball of light in one's hands."
> Ezra Pound

Mo Dawley
Art and Drama Librarian
Carnegie Mellon University