From: Ellen Gilliam [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 4:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Art Librarian: Staff or Faculty ?

Here's my question: Should I, as newly hired Director of Rockport College
Library and Learning Resource Center, prefer to be aligned organizationally
within the college administration staff or as a member of faculty? I am
hoping that the membership of this listserv can help me understand the pros
and cons of both positions. I am new to academic libraries in general and to
art libraries in particular, having spent the past 15 years in a high
technology corportate library setting, and I have much to learn.

Rockport College in Rockport, Me., is a small photography and filmmaking
conservatory with a specialized library collection focused on photography,
film, art history, anthropology, psychology, philosophy, creativity, myth,
storytelling, and other subjects related to the Rockport College curriculum.
Formats include books, periodicals, videos, DVDs and laser disks, CD's and
audiotapes, and slides. Plans include expansion of the library space to
include computer workstations for image research (both online and
standalone) and a screening/listening station.

The college is currently undergoing accreditation review by the National
Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). As part of the process,
the college is looking at all professional positions and trying to
understand where best to locate those positions within the academic
organization. Where does the position of library/leaning center director
rightfully fit? What are the key conderns re: professional credibility,
collegiality, pay scale and benefits, continuing education, etc. and how
should these be addressed? Where do other art librarians fit into their
institutional hierarchies? Any suggestions on other professional groups I
should poll for input?

Thanks very much. I appreciate your help enormously and will be happy to
summarize and share the results.

[log in to unmask] Gilliam, MSLIS, Simmons College, Boston, MA

Director, Library and Learning Resource Center

Rockport College & Maine Photographic Workshops

Rockport, ME 04856

Phone: 207-236-7034, ext. 369