A group of ARLIS-NA  (Art Libraries Society of North America) librarians and

professionals of color met informally at the recent ARLIS/NA Conference in
St. Louis, MO to dialogue on issues of race and ethnicity within the society

and librarianship as a whole.

We will actively continue this discussion.

One of our activities is to facilitate the attendance of library science
students of color at the ARLIS-NA conference in Baltimore next year
and at subsequent conferences to introduce them to the organization
and to the field of art librarianship.

At the membership meeting, we invited everyone who supported this effort to
stand with us.   The ARLIS/NA board supported our effort as did most in the
audience! :-)

To our knowledge this was a historic act which will aid us in encouraging
ethnic diversity in art librarianship.

Miguel Juarez, Assistant Librarian
Art, Art Education, Art History, Photography
Center for Creative Photography Library
University of Arizona Library
P.O. Box 210103, Tucson, AZ  85721-0103
Phone: (520) 626-9434/FAX: (520) 621-9444