Dear ARLIS-L,

I want to thank everyone who responded to my research request for
help finding a floor plan, pre-WWI for the Bibliotheque Nationale de
France; I especially wish to thank Mr. Will Bridegam (and Ms.
Nathalie Lee Bridegam), Ms. Ellie Nacheman, and Ruth S. Thomas. I
have received the responses I needed to help the patron, and I am so
impressed with ARLIS-L expertise and assistance!

In case it's of interest to anyone on the list, I've provided the

1) It [the floor plan] can be found in the 1913 edition of Baedeker's
Paris and its Environs
which he owns. I would expect that you could find it in your library or
one in the area.

2) [You may want to contact] Sarah Wenzel, [who] wrote an article on
the new BNF for Library Quarterly (vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 324--): From
Revolution to Evolution: The Transformation of the Bibliothque
Nationale into the Bibliothque Nationale de France, through the Lens
of Popular and Professional Reports

3) A check in the Avery Index brought up one article in particular
which sounded as though it could be useful to your patron.
Unfortunately we don't have the journal, so I couldn't check to be
sure. I thought I would pass the information along--perhaps you can
locate a library near you who does subscribe. The title of the
article is "La Bibliotheque Imperiale di Henri Labrouste" / by Maria
Grazia Tampieri. It is in Parametro, March-April 1997, no. 218, p.
10-59. The indication is that the article contains photos,
elevations, plans, sections and more. It sounds promising to me. Hope
you find the information helpful.

Dear Arlis-L,

A patron is trying to find a pre-World War One floor plan of the
Bibliotheque Nationale de France (BnF), in relation to his project
which is to do a study of the development of floor plans for
libraries.

This particular floor plan is complex, and spans centuries of change.
The architect LaBrouste who was selected by Napolean III to expand
the housing for the library in the late 19th century, seems to be a
key architect to look for, in searching for pre-WWI floor plans.

I've searched Internet sources, and found the Royal Institute of
British Architects (RIBA) to be a rich resource, and did find 162
articles, reports, and other resources on the BnF via the catalog,
including a particularly interesting research article but it is
written in Italian.  Since the floor plan is the main thing needed,
perhaps it would work to obtain this article, but it might be best to
pursue English-language documents that might contain this. Plus, it
might be very costly to obtain the article, and cost is an issue here.

Would anyone know of an English language source, that might be more
readily available within a library in the United States, that would
provide such a floor plan?

Thank you for considering this request.

Regards,

Mary Wolcott, MLIS

--
Mary Wolcott                                    (800) 476-6861  ext. 226
Information Resource Center (IRC)               [log in to unmask]