Dear Colleagues,
The Massachusetts College of Art has just assembled a
task force to re-think our computer lab's goals and
objectives (our library has a lab of 40 computer
workstations in addition to our 9 OPACs).  The
Computer Lab Manager here has asked me if I would post
some questions to the list so that we have a sense of
how other art libraries meet their patrons' technical
needs.

We would greatly appreciate if you take just 5 minutes
to answer the questions below.  If you respond
directly to me off-list, I will summarize the

Rachel Beckwith
Public Services Librarian
Massachusetts College of Art
621 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA  02115
(617)879-7108

1.---Does your library have a computer lab that is a
separate entity from your OPACs?  Whether the answer
is yes or no, please continue with the rest of the
questions below.

2. Give a couple examples of patrons technical needs
and how you address them.
3. What kind of hardware and software upgrade schedule
do you follow?
4. Do you circulate CDs, CD-ROMs, and DVDs?
5. Do you support other technologies?
6. How do you fund your lab? do you charge a separate
technology fee?
7. Do you charge for laser printing?
8. Do you support web-based images selected by
faculty?
9. How do you obtain input from users regarding
technical needs?
10. Do you support Assistive Technology?