When we moved our library to the renovated main building we found ourselves
cursed by 9" deep metal shelving "for uniformity"  The art books kept
falling over in a domino effect and the wider, overhanging ones tended to
fall off the shelves until I resurrected the old "wire book supports,"
those thick wire contraptions that hang from the bottom of the shelves
above and you squeeze in order to dislodge them and slide them where they
are needed. These supports should still be available from several library
suppliers (Highsmith and Gaylord had them not too long ago and I have seen
in the Gaylord catalog that they can also provide runners for wood
shelving) I use one support in the middle of a row of books, trying, when
possible, to position it between two hardcover books of suitable height.
They should not be used though on the bottom shelf near the floor because
anybody shelving would not see the wire and could get it cought inside a
book.  I use two of them on each row of bound periodical, and add one at
the beginning and one at the end of each shelf of oversize materials where
the books need to rest on 2 shelves facing in opposite directions (quite
the waste of precious space..., but our old oversized shelving was adopted
by the Music library.)  Of course we still need the book ends as well, and
we too use 9" high ones with or without side braces.  What I find essential
is the full cork surface on the bottom.  We found in the "new" library that
all the existing bookends only had a skimpy square of cork at the bottom,
which kept falling off and get discarded.  Many of our old ones had the
full bottom and I use them where I cannot use the wire dividers with decent
success.

Anna Bigazzi,
Art Coordinator
Mortensen Library, Art Library