Dear colleagues:

Please add my name to the list of those offended by comments from Christian R Loor and Ted Goodman to Mr. Omar.

Is it our practice to harass people who send questions to the list by criticizing their e-mail addresses?  It seems to me that this practice is the antithesis of professionalism.  Also, acts of e-mail profiling--which, just like any other profiling has its roots in racism--should not be tolerated by ARLIS-NA, nor citizens of the world at all, at any point in time.  Mr. Omar's question was not anything out of the ordinary, and did not warrant such unfounded suspicion. He deserves a thoughtful response, as ARLIS-NA listserv subscribers have provided readers so many times in the past.

On another matter, in the interests of maintaining an accessible listserv, I don't think we should require people to list their institutional affiliations if they choose not to, for whatever reason.  Leaving off an institutional affiliation should not compromise the legitimacy of any question.

Sincerely,

Vanessa Kam

D. Vanessa Kam
Art Librarian