Dear ARLIS-L subscribers,

I never dreamed my words would generate such strong opinions. I have been
called a xenophobe and prejudiced.  I thank the 11 people who sent me
messages of support. I counted 4 messages of condemnation. Please know that
I have the well-being of ARLIS/NA in mind, no more, no less. My term is
almost over and it will be with great relief that I turn the reins over to
the incoming President.

ARLIS/NA is a professional, academic and internationally-based organization
and it is inappropriate for personal opinions that undermine its reputation
and position, to be expressed by any Board member in their executive
capacity. ARLIS-L is a public forum, and when an opinion is posted there as
representing the Society's leadership, then the Society and the Executive
Board are held responsible for it.

Therefore, I am formally apologizing to any and all persons who were
affected negatively by my words.
especially Mr. Omar. I regret having made public the exchange with the
Consulate, in particular naming names when the substance of the exchange is
not proven fact.

This retraction should make it clear to all list subscribers (the minority
of whom are ARLIS/NA members) that my message constituted my personal
opinion and not that of the Executive Board or the Society's leadership.

There is no need to quit the Society over this- the way to change it is to
become more involved and work from within to provide a more inclusive,
diverse membership.

I urge all ARLIS-L subscribers to join ARLIS/NA and to follow the vision of
our 2000-2005 Strategic Plan to provide leadership in enhancing education,
information, and scholarly communication within the arts.

Ted Goodman, President
ARLIS/NA