Committees form the spine of the organizational structure of both ARLIS/NA
and VRA; this is where much of the on going, interesting, and fulfilling
work of each organization is accomplished. In each case, committees are
established by the executive board of the respective organization as either
a standing or ad hoc committee and given a specific charge or goal to
accomplish.  A quick look at the committee structure of each organization
reveals considerable over lap in the issues that committees address.  For
instance each organization has committees that deal with travel awards,
writing awards, distinguished service awards, finances, publications, legal
issues, professional development, etc.  This is yet another area in which
we have much in common and can develop and strengthen partnerships.

A bonus of our joint meeting  in St. Louis is the opportunity for
committees in each organization to network with their counterparts in the
other.  For instance, the ARLIS/NA Public Policy and the VRA Intellectual
Property Rights committees will hold a joint meeting as will the VRA Data
Standards committee and the ARLIS/NA Cataloging Advisory Committee. Some
committees are scheduled to meet at the same time to allow them to spend a
portion of the allotted meeting time together.  In other cases, the
meetings are held a different times to encourage members of the committees
in both organizations to attend both.

How can I find out what happens in committee meetings?  Can I get
involved?  Will my contributions be welcomed even if I am a new member of
ARLIS/NA or VRA?  All ARLIS/NA meetings are open, and every joint
conference attendee is invited to attend any ARLIS/NA meeting.  While VRA
committee meetings aren't officially open, committee chairs often welcome
visitors.  If you decide to investigate a VRA committee, please introduce
yourself to the chair to make sure that your attendance is
appropriate.  Both organizations solicit self-nominations as a way of
recruiting new committee members who will be truly committed.  If you are
interested in the work of a specific committee and would like to
participate, please offer your services; if you are selected, be prepared
to work hard for your chosen cause.  Committee membership is an excellent
way for you to contribute to and make a difference in your professional
organization.  It is also personally very rewarding!

So, next week in St. Louis, why don't you investigate some committees?  Who
knows, you might discover a perfect place where you will make a real
difference.  And, yes, if you are a new member of ARLIS/NA, VRA or both
organizations, your participation is important and will be valued.  If you
are a veteran member of committees in one organization, you might want to
check out a counterpart in the other.

We both look forward to seeing you next week in St. Louis.

Deborah Ultan ([log in to unmask])
Margaret Webster [log in to unmask])
ARLIS/NA ~ VRA 2002 Program Co-Chairs

Margaret N. Webster