Hello,

Since ARLIS-L is a list that supports librarians working with images,
it seemed appropriate to ask for your thoughts/experience with
imaging systems, in relation to managing digital images.

The Southwest Educational Development Laboratory (SEDL) would like to
hear about your experience with Digital Asset Management (DAM)
software systems. We've recently begun exploring the imaging software
system called Cumulus as a possible solution (http://www.canto.com/)
to provide access to in-house images and text of our own work.

The system needs to be able to recognize all of the different
software programs we use to create our products (newsletters,
cd-roms, etc.) which include Quark, Adobe software, Filemaker, JPEG,
and so forth. And then, we need to be able to search the text. We
wondered if full-text searching can or should even be done via an
imaging software system (does this cause any problems)? What are the
pros and cons of having it all within one system (if it's even
possible)?

If you have addressed these and/or similar questions in your
organization would you mind describing your experience with the
system you are using for your DAM (or Media Asset Management)
projects?  And we'd be interested to know whether you had
incorporated full text searching into your imaging system.  If not,
do you use another system for searching full text archives, like an
Internet-based search engine, or Verity or something you've created
in-house?

Thank you for considering my requests.  I can summarize any/all

Regards,

Mary Wolcott, MLIS
Information Associate

Mary Wolcott                                    (800) 476-6861  ext. 226
Information Resource Center (IRC)               [log in to unmask]
Office of Institutional Communications          http://www.sedl.org/
Southwest Educational Development Laboratory
211 East Seventh Street
Austin, Texas  78701-3281