                            Springtime in the Rockies
                  ARLIS Canada/ARLIS NW Regional Conference
                             Banff, Alberta, Canada
                      Friday 31 May - Sunday 2 June, 2002

      For a preview of our forthcoming conference landscape, Canadians
should tune in to the new CBC Monday night comedy-drama series TOM STONE,
set in Calgary.  For the first time, the city and the surrounding foothills
and Rockies play themselves, after a long history as stand-ins for other
locales:  Montana, in LITTLE BIG MAN and LONESOME DOVE (the series); Russia,
in DOCTOR ZHIVAGO; medieval Japan, in HEAVEN AND EARTH; and Kansas and
Metropolis, in SUPERMAN I, II, & III.  This new series, "subliminally
modelled on THE ROCKFORD FILES," stars Vancouverite Chris William Martin, of
FELICITY fame, and Janet Kidder, niece of SUPERMAN co-star Margot Kidder.

      If you are beyond CBC broadcast range, but are vintage movie fans, you
may preview Banff, our conference site, by renting the western melodrama
RIVER OF NO RETURN, 1954, starring Marilyn Monroe.  Web reviews attest that
the scenery is as photogenic as Marilyn.  Surprisingly, Banff in the forties
was a popular location for movies like 49th PARALLEL, 1941; LASSIE COME
HOME, 1943; SON OF LASSIE, 1945; THE MAN IN GREEN, 1946; NORTHWEST STAMPEDE,
1948; and CANADIAN PACIFIC, 1949...

       But to see the real, not the "reel" thing, check out the program and
register for the conference at:
                    www.banffcentre.ca/library.carlis.banff

(Film facts courtesy of Cindy Murrell, Performing Arts, University of
Calgary Library)

--
Kathy Zimon
Banff Conference Committee