Cross posted to ARLIS-L and VRA-L: my apologies for the duplication
+++++++++++

After receiving my personal credit card statement for November yesterday, coupled with an article in the Washington Post this morning (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7680-2002Feb26.html) and the arrival of a fragments of two (I think) letters mailed to my office, I thought it would be advisable to inform our colleagues about the ins and outs of irradiated mail.

Mail to all Federal agencies is being irradiated. The mail is boxed up and shipped to Ohio or New Jersey for radiation treatment to kill potential anthrax contamination. The mail is then returned to DC where it is sprayed with chemicals to try to reduce off-gassing of plastic elements and aired for several days until it is then sorted and delivered. This is causing a number of problems besides delays of weeks or months. Heat-sensitive documents like letters produced on laser printers, photocopies, and paper with any plasticizers are being fused by the heat and are unreadable. Slides and any type of plastic material are generally melted and rendered useless.  Most paper, including books become embrittled, some books with coated paper turn into useless blobs. The bulk handling of tons of mail is causing considerable damage to letters, periodicals, and packages.

Some things to take into consideration:

The National Gallery of Art, Library of Congress, The Smithsonian Institution Libraries, and any governmental agency library are all parts of the  Federal government and therefor will have incoming U.S. Postal Service mail irradiated.

If you have a time sensitive document, please fax , e-mail or use a private carrier like Federal Express to get it to the recipient on time. Another option might be to send the documents to a home address instead. Check with the recipient.

Do not send books, slides, photographs, transparencies, books, audio or video tapes , CDs or any inter-library loan material through the U.S. Postal service. The irradiation process will most likely destroy them. Please use UPS, FedEx, or other private carriers.

Try to be understanding if you encounter problems with your colleagues in the Washington area. Mail arrives in batches and in various states of damage.  Some workers who handle a high volume of mail are becoming ill or developing rashes as a side effect of irradiation. I think all of us hope that these measures are temporary but for the duration, we will need your help and special consideration.

Gregory P. J. Most
Chief Slide Librarian
National Gallery of Art
Washington, DC 20565