For those of you planning to attend the 24th annual AASL meeting in New
Orleans April 11th - 14th, be sure to bring your librarians' standard-issue
sensible shoes!   ;-)

A guide from Save Our Cemeteries will be giving us a walking tour of New
Orleans' oldest cemetery, the Saint Louis Cemetery #1.  This tour is
included in your registration fee, so please plan to come.  We will meet at
the Royal Blend Coffee House at Royal & Toulouse at 5:00 pm on Saturday.
Though the cemetery closes at 3:00, Save Our Cemeteries has gained
permission to open for us, so be prepared for a private tour.

This will be a great way to work up an appetite before embarking on yet
another fine meal in New Orleans, and enjoying the French Quarter Festival
in progress during the conference.  There is a great little 4 page N.O.
restaurant guide in the Jan. 2002 issue of American Libraries, written by
OCLC's Mark Tullos, pp. 85-88.

See the Save Our Cemeteries website at http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/
<http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/>

From their website:
St. Louis Cemetery Guided Tours:
  <http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/art/spacer.gif> Founded in 1789 and
listed on the National Register of Historic Places, St. Louis No. I is the
burial ground of some of the most illustrious citizens of New Orleans,
including Etienne Boré,
<http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/art/ironcross.jpg> pioneer in sugar
development; Daniel Clark, financial supporter of the American Revolution;
Paul Morphy, world famous chess champion; and other local and national
figures. Notable structures include the famed oven wall vaults, the supposed
resting place of Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau and the magnificent tombs of the
French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish societies.
  <http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/art/spacer.gif> Meet in the rear
courtyard of the French Quarter's Royal Blend Coffee Shop where your guide
will greet you and escort the group to the cemetery, providing a guided tour
of local landmarks along the way.
  <http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/art/spacer.gif> For group rates of 20 or
more, call 504-525-3377. Click here for a
<http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/tours/st_louis_map.htm> printer-friendly
map to the tour's starting point.

Questions or Suggestions?  Write me!

Jacqueline Tygart, Art & Architecture Librarian
VP, Association of Architecture School Librarians
Drury University, F. W. Olin Library
900 N. Benton
Springfield, MO  65802