Dear Art Librarians,

    Libraries are my favorite place to exhibit because of the
huge variety of people who see the work. I am currently producing a portfolio of 25 photographs for the San Francisco Public Libray. Thanks for any help you can give this exhibit. Cathy Cade
Exhibit Preparing to Travel

Changing the World, Building New Lives:
1970s photographs of Lesbians, Feminists, Union Women, Disability Activists ~ & Their Supporters. By Cathy Cade.

In the 1970s women were demonstrating for gay rights, in defense of Yvonne Wanrow and Inez Garcia, and an end to Samoza's dictatorship in Nicaragua. Nurses and stewardesses were on strike. Lesbian mothers, disabled women and their supporters were in the streets defending their rights to raise children. The Berkeley/Oakland Women's Chorus was singing songs of Revolution and witches. Women were becoming auto mechanics and welders. Cathy Cade, a participant in many of these movements, captured these images and more. A number of frames show how the photos were used in movement media.

Internationally exhibited and published,
Cathy Cade has been documenting progressive political movements for over 30 years, holds a Ph.D. in Sociology, and is the author of A Lesbian Photo Album: the Lives of Seven Lesbian Feminists.

45 black and white photographs most framed to 16x20 inches;
6 frames are 20x24 inches. The exhibit is organized into four categories: "Demonstrations", "Building Feminist and Lesbian Cultures", "Lesbian Mothering", and "Women at Work".  Explanatory text included.

Currently negotiating with California Exhibitions Resources Alliance for professional traveling exhibit services.

Reasonable rental fee still to be determined for 8 week booking. Security: low to moderate.

For more information
Cathy Cade
510/532-3545
2202 Rosedale Ave.
Oakland, Ca 94601

Images from "Changing the World, Building New Lives" coming soon at www.cathycade.com.

Comments from attendees of this exhibit at the Photolab Gallery, Berkeley, fall 2001.

They're political AND they're beautiful art. Laurie

Thank you for knowing to take us so seriously
. Elana

ŠThey document such an incredible moment in our lifetimes -when women found their voices and individually and collectively fought for their identities and for control of their lives
! Robin

The technical skill combines with the artistry and the sensitivity to make your world view clear and compelling. Judy Olasov

I have to come back and bring my daughter to see your work! Kathleen Eppes

I have been inspired by your work since it helped me come out when I found your book in 1989. I am honored to see so many of your powerful images printed and displayed in their full glory. It is important that women of my younger generation see your work. Angela Dawn