Here's my question: Should I, as newly hired Director of Rockport College Library and Learning Resource Center, prefer to be aligned organizationally within the college administration staff or as a member of faculty? I am hoping that the membership of this listserv can help me understand the pros and cons of both positions. I am new to academic libraries in general and to art libraries in particular, having spent the past 15 years in a high technology corportate library setting, and I have much to learn.

Rockport College in Rockport, Me., is a small photography and filmmaking conservatory with a specialized library collection focused on photography, film, art history, anthropology, psychology, philosophy, creativity, myth, storytelling, and other subjects related to the Rockport College curriculum. Formats include books, periodicals, videos, DVDs and laser disks, CD's and audiotapes, and slides. Plans include expansion of the library space to include computer workstations for image research (both online and standalone) and a screening/listening station.

The college is currently undergoing accreditation review by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). As part of the process, the college is looking at all professional positions and trying to understand where best to locate those positions within the academic organization. Where does the position of library/leaning center director rightfully fit? What are the key conderns re: professional credibility, collegiality, pay scale and benefits, continuing education, etc. and how should these be addressed? Where do other art librarians fit into their institutional hierarchies? Any suggestions on other professional groups I should poll for input?

Thanks very much. I appreciate your help enormously and will be happy to summarize and share the results.

Ellen Gilliam, MSLIS, Simmons College, Boston, MA

Director, Library and Learning Resource Center

Rockport College & Maine Photographic Workshops

Rockport, ME 04856

Phone: 207-236-7034, ext. 369