On the topic of library instruction sessions,
I don't recall anyone mentioning that they
schedule/publicize/hold their own instruction
sessions.  Does anyone do that as well?  I'd
be interested in hearing details--off list
if interest in this thread is waning.

At UW, there is a "walk-in" workshop program.
The libraries on their own initiative
decide they will hold instruction sessions
on, say, "finding art-related journal articles"
or "finding resources at libraries worldwide."
The main library webpage lists all the campus
library workshops, and individual libraries
may do additional publicity with signs in the
library or email notices.  Attendance is
voluntary.  And, in case you're wondering,
students do in fact attend!--although some
libraries are seeing their numbers drop.

I'm especially interested in these "voluntary-
attendance" sessions, because that program
is now being downplayed here at UW in favor
of a push toward more "course-related
instruction."  Integrating library instruction
into academic programs is certainly desirable
and is the iniative of the moment as well.
I have no objection (quite the contrary) to
offering BI in coursework or for independent
credit or at colloquia or any other way it
can be shoehorned in.  But in certain
situations I think it can also be effective
to publicize library instruction directly
to the students.

So, my questions are along the lines of:
Does your library offer its own BI workshops?
If so, what is the attendance/response like?

Comments on past histories of such programs
are also appreciated.

Linda Duychak
Kohler Art Library
University of Wisconsin, Madison