The mian library here at U of Pgh does have walk-in sessions that are braodly
advertised.  I tried that model in the Frick Fine Arts Library and widely
advertised them via flyers and e-mail to faculty and grad students.  NO ONE
attended any of them, so we dropped that approach.  We shceduled some in the
morning, some in the afternoon, and some at noon.

I think different approaches are more successful at different institutions and
within different departments of an institution and it depends on the culture or
climate of the institution and the department.  I think that's why my sessions on
ULS Digital Library resources have been successful if given via the Department's
weekly Colluquia.  The Colloquia are considered important in this department and
they are at noon, therefore do not take class time, and everyone attends them.

Ray Anne Lockard

Linda Duychak wrote:

> On the topic of library instruction sessions,
> I don't recall anyone mentioning that they
> schedule/publicize/hold their own instruction
> sessions.  Does anyone do that as well?  I'd
> be interested in hearing details--off list
> if interest in this thread is waning.
>
> At UW, there is a "walk-in" workshop program.
> The libraries on their own initiative
> decide they will hold instruction sessions
> on, say, "finding art-related journal articles"
> or "finding resources at libraries worldwide."
> The main library webpage lists all the campus
> library workshops, and individual libraries
> may do additional publicity with signs in the
> library or email notices.  Attendance is
> voluntary.  And, in case you're wondering,
> students do in fact attend!--although some
> libraries are seeing their numbers drop.
>
> I'm especially interested in these "voluntary-
> attendance" sessions, because that program
> is now being downplayed here at UW in favor
> of a push toward more "course-related
> instruction."  Integrating library instruction
> into academic programs is certainly desirable
> and is the iniative of the moment as well.
> I have no objection (quite the contrary) to
> offering BI in coursework or for independent
> credit or at colloquia or any other way it
> can be shoehorned in.  But in certain
> situations I think it can also be effective
> to publicize library instruction directly
> to the students.
>
> So, my questions are along the lines of:
> Does your library offer its own BI workshops?
> If so, what is the attendance/response like?
>
> Comments on past histories of such programs
> are also appreciated.
>
> Linda Duychak
> Kohler Art Library
> University of Wisconsin, Madison
>
> P.S.  Happy Valentine's Day to you all!

Ray Anne Lockard, Head Librarian
Frick Fine Arts Library
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Voice:  412-648-2411
Fax:  412-648-7568
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

"A book should be a ball of light in one's hands."
Ezra Pound