> Similarities exist between the process of gathering information & the
> process of making  art.

This is a really important point. There are many similiarities to research
and the art process - especially now that the art world has come to
articulate so readily that process is just as important as the result.
Art people really are drawn to the library. You know there must be reasons
for this,
such as the ones Ellen has listed below.  Just letting students use the
library space for creativity may contribute to their learning about
libraries, e.g. with exhibitions etc.
On the non-traditional side,
I have known of students to use the online card catalog to begin art
projects, for example, searching their last name in the catalog and letting
the catalog lead them to information they would not normally seek - and
basing their artwork on that.  Last year one of the studio art classes was
assigned to do "installations" in the library.  One of the students
arranged a whole section of book stacks by color!!!!   He was found out and
ordered to order everything back. But it was wonderful!  a great insight
into how art students like to see their information- and like to browse-
and find creative ways thorough libraries which are essentially linear in
structure still - even on the web.

To me,  trying to build relationships between linear and non-linear
approaches is one of the biggest challanges of teaching library research.
Mo

--On Wednesday, February 13, 2002 8:01 AM -0600 Ellen Petraits
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In a recent faculty meeting I was successful in talking with art
> professors by drawing parallels between the creative process of research
> and that of art-making.
>

> Similarities exist between the process of gathering information & the
> process of making  art.
> Both:
>     -begin with a motivation to find out about something
>     -develop by formulating a series of questions
>     -are self-directed
>     -are a creative process and in many cases the results are subjective
> -meaning the artist is really the only one who knows if what they have
> found satisfies the question
>
> This seemed to have opened a few doors.
>

> Ellen Petraits
> Art & Architecture Library