Frick Fine Arts Libar at U of Pgh

This is a complex and multi-faceted challenge.  Faculty STILL, after all these
decades, insist that their grads and ph d students already know library resources
even though the faculty knows (1) that the undergrads don't know, (2) only a few of
our grad TAs and the faculty have their classes come to me for LI, (3) many, not
all, of the faculty have never learned the prof tools of their trade, (4) there are
more and more resources to use, and (5) I regularly market LI including WHY it is
important.

This topic is also as old as dirt - right up there with the library image problem
and I have begun to think it is part and parcel of the IMAGE challenge.

One challenge in my particular situation is that many faculty members don't want me
to spend what they consider to be "too much of my time" on LI because, being the
solo librarian, I am also responsible for everything else here too - collection
development, reference, etc., etc. Some faculty members here have used my service
once or twice and never again.  The University Library System places a high value
on LI throughout the system.

The grad methods class does NOT put me to use either - breaks my heart.  It means
that grad and doc students are leaving this program without knowing the
professional tools of their profession.  The faculty teach the grad and doc
students to rely on colleagues and footnotes for citations and new material like
they themseves do.  There is nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but I firmly
believe that it is only ONE way to learn of material in one's field.  It should not
be the ONLY way to discover new material.

I do reach most of the udergrad students who are enrolled in writing sections of
intro classes and only spoadically, grad students.  I have had many grad students
wonder why they don't learn about important library resources earlier in their
student careers.  It is a complex situation.  Students aren't really reachable
unless they are motivated by a specific need to learn the refernece material.

The idea in my head is to work with faculty members to INTEGRATE library
instruction as a required part of undergrad, intro courses and to INTEGRATE it as a
required part of the grad methods course.  This is one of my goals in the near
future.  Whether or not I am able to accomplish that goal remains to be seen.

LI was a HUGE part of my job in academic libraries before I took this position in
1986 and I have been sorely disappointed that I am not able to convince more
faculty members to take advantage of what I can offer their students or more
students who are willing to tell their faculty members that they need such
instruction!

Ray Anne Lockard
University of Pittsburgh

Lucie Stylianopoulos wrote:

> At 9:21 AM -0500 2/11/02, Sandra Rothenberg wrote:
> >Hello All,
> >    I was hoping that some of you in academic libraries might have
> >some thoughts
> >on this question.  Do you actively do library instruction sections
> >for students
> >doing research in master's and Ph.D. level courses?  Is there a
> >resistance from
> >the professors for bringing their upper level students in because
> >"Their students
> >already know how to do research" or "There is not time for this in the course
> >schedule."  If so, is their any ways in which you counter this thinking to get
> >these user groups in for instruction.  Any thoughts on the subject?
> >Thank you in advance,
> >Sandra Rothenberg
> >ARLIS/NE

> Sandra,
>
> I do many library instruction classes for students doing graduate
> research.  I think the trick is that the classes are seen as a part
> of the normal syllabus for the class and are usually termed library
> research.  They are often solicited by the faculty and scheduled a
> bit later so students have had time to select topics. All of the
> classes are course-based and I do give credit to Jack Robertson for
> suggesting the idea of web guides.
>
> I have found that web guides
> (www.lib.virginia.edu/fine-arts/guides.html) that accompany the
> session as well as tailoring the session to the content of the class
> make a better sell when trying to coax new faculty into the program.
> We do have resistant faculty, though, but I have tried to suggest
> that their graduate students make individual appointments and receive
> guided help.  That idea has begun to bring some of the more reserved
> faculty and students into the library instruction program lately.
>
> I would welcome an another ARLIS session on some of these issues in
> library instruction, since this is an ongoing job for me.  Do others
> teach library instruction classes on a regular basis?  It would be a
> good topic for the Baltimore conference I think.
>
> yours,
>
> Lucie
> --
> Lucie Wall Stylianopoulos
> Collections Coordinator
> Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library
> University of Virginia
> Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
>
> tele. 434-924-6604      [log in to unmask]

Ray Anne Lockard, Head Librarian
Frick Fine Arts Library
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Voice:  412-648-2411
Fax:  412-648-7568
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

"A book should be a ball of light in one's hands."
Ezra Pound