I just read  Edith's note on the Art History Infocomp Project. To my mind,
this is a most important deveolpment.

I was fortunate enough in the late 20's through the 30's to have worked as a
page in Teachers College Library. After that experience, I was convinced
that I didn't have to know anything, just as long as I knew where to find it
when needed.

I have found that the techniques of research are the same for all
disciplines. The only thing that you have to remember is to start with the
reference librarian who can go to Mudge, or Winchell or whatever it is
called now and find basic documentation. I have published in such diverse
fields as faculties in institutions of higher education, lipid content of
the human brain, instrumental analysis of antibiotics and the medieval wall
paintings in the village churches in Denmark - my present diversion.

I believe that every graduate student should have a basic course in the
methods of searching for information, and then the special course in the
special needs of their chosen discipline. I suggest that the basic course
should be part of the master's degree, and the special needs course be part
of the doctoral program.

Thanks for the chance to express my opinion.

James Mills