Does anyone know of a published survey or perhaps a thesis on
the topic of the general public's likes, dislikes and expectations
about architecture?  I'm specifically trying to find an illustrated
survey about how people think public buildings ought to look.

I am aware of critics and theorists such as Robert Venturi
(_Learning from Las Vegas_), Christopher Alexander
(_A Pattern Language_ ; _The Timeless Way of Building_),
and Henry Hope Reed (_The Golden City_), who have their
own ideas about what constitutes appropriate architecture,
but I'd like to know if their theories have ever been
borne out by science or statistics.

I and other members of my local neighborhood council would
be grateful for assistance in this quest.

--K.A. Bayruns
   Seattle, WA