Thanks to so many of you who replied to my query!  Had I looked at the
introductory material in Yarnall & Gerdts's Index to American art
exhibition  catalogues, I would have realized the artists included are
both American and "other!"  Its location index is a great resource.

 "Art and the Empire City" also has a list in an appendix.
There obviously is some overlap. The combined list is not long.

Thanks again, Ruth.

Ruth S. Thomas
Archaeology, Art, Art History, Classics Bibliographer
Mugar Memorial Library
Boston University
771 Commonwealth Ave.
Boston, MA 02215