~~~~~SESSION HIGHLIGHTS~~~~~ The upcoming ARLIS/NA ~VRA joint conference offers an exciting program on issues and topics of vital interest to all. Besides finding out about the majestic beauty of St Louis on the specially designed TOURS, gaining skills at WORKSHOPS, chewing on issues with colleagues in SEMINARS, this year's program is enriched with ten two-hour long SESSIONS. Many of the sessions will focus on topics that address our changing research and collections environments, and the redefinition of our roles and responsibilities. Other sessions cover a range of topics from the history of image collections and preservation of architectural records to sessions on the art that motivates us to be who we are and do what we do! To highlight just a few... Come One, Come All! On Saturday, March 23, 9:30 a.m, our Plenary I session is host to a meeting as part of the National Initiative Cultural Heritage (NINCH) series on Copyright and Fair Use. This meeting, which will be open to the public, will focus on the "information commons," the various free and open public resources of information, and how that concept intersects with licensing, one of the prevailing mechanisms for distributing digital resources today. Celebrate St Louis as a frontier for women artists! Panelists will describe how St. Louis was a training ground and rewarding work environment for women artists of the nineteenth century, and how it continues to be today. Meet local artists and art historians in this session, "Women Artists of St Louis: Past and Present," Monday, March 25th. Interested in the early history of image collecting and how they were used in higher education? In the session "Property and Capital in 19th and Early 20th century Visual Collections", on Sunday, March 24th, 10:00 a.m., session panelists will discuss the development, production and dissemination of image collecting for the study and teaching of the history of art. Going digital transforms research! Reflect on how digital technology has transformed specific areas of the research environment in "Patterns of Use" on Sunday, March 24th, 10a.m. Session panelists will demonstrate how new technologies, standards, and digital projects have improved access to resources such as Patterns Books, Builders' Guide, and Trade Catalog Collections. Listening is mandatory in the session on Sound Art! Session moderator, Diane Tong, Head of Information, Research and Institutional Studies San Francisco State University will give an overview of sound art and then turn the session over to a panel of artists/performers in "Hey Now Whats That Sound Everybody Know Whats Going On?", Monday, March 25th, 11 a.m. The Three V's does not mean three valentines! Sorry! In this Plenary Session II: The Three V's", Monday, March 25th, panelists representing various roles in the creation, use, and delivery of digital image products will openly dialogue about Visual Technology, Visual Culture, and Visual Literacy. The Plenary II session brings together Max Marmor of ArtStor, Jennifer Trant of AMICO, Susan Williams, Yale University, and Paula Lupkin, Washington University, and moderator Katharine Martinez, Fine Arts Library of Harvard College. The session is sure to be lively, so bring your questions! Need to know more about the conference programs? For full descriptions we encourage you to visit our conference website at http://library.wustl.edu/~beth/Conference.html. If you have any questions about the programs please contact your co-chairs. We look forward to seeing you soon in St Louis! Deborah Ultan ([log in to unmask]) Margaret Webster ([log in to unmask]) ARLIS/NA~VRA 2002 program co-chairs Deborah K. Ultan ph: (612)625-6438 Art/Art History Librarian fax: (612) 626-9353 University of Minnesota email: [log in to unmask] 170b Wilson Library 309 19th Ave South Minneapolis, MN 55455 __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] Administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]