At 9:21 AM -0500 2/11/02, Sandra Rothenberg wrote:
>Hello All,
>    I was hoping that some of you in academic libraries might have
>some thoughts
>on this question.  Do you actively do library instruction sections
>for students
>doing research in master's and Ph.D. level courses?  Is there a
>resistance from
>the professors for bringing their upper level students in because
>"Their students
>already know how to do research" or "There is not time for this in the course
>schedule."  If so, is their any ways in which you counter this thinking to get
>these user groups in for instruction.  Any thoughts on the subject?
>Thank you in advance,
>Sandra Rothenberg
>ARLIS/NE

Sandra,

I do many library instruction classes for students doing graduate
research.  I think the trick is that the classes are seen as a part
of the normal syllabus for the class and are usually termed library
research.  They are often solicited by the faculty and scheduled a
bit later so students have had time to select topics. All of the
classes are course-based and I do give credit to Jack Robertson for
suggesting the idea of web guides.

I have found that web guides
(www.lib.virginia.edu/fine-arts/guides.html) that accompany the
session as well as tailoring the session to the content of the class
make a better sell when trying to coax new faculty into the program.
We do have resistant faculty, though, but I have tried to suggest
that their graduate students make individual appointments and receive
guided help.  That idea has begun to bring some of the more reserved
faculty and students into the library instruction program lately.

I would welcome an another ARLIS session on some of these issues in
library instruction, since this is an ongoing job for me.  Do others
teach library instruction classes on a regular basis?  It would be a
good topic for the Baltimore conference I think.

yours,

Lucie
--
Lucie Wall Stylianopoulos
Collections Coordinator

tele. 434-924-6604      [log in to unmask]