~~~~~SEMINAR HIGHLIGHTS~~~~~ The upcoming ARLIS/NA ~VRA joint conference offers an exciting program on issues and topics of vital interest to all. Besides finding out about the charms of St Louis on the specially planned TOURS, gaining skills at WORKSHOPS, and tackling tough issues in program SESSIONS, this year's program is rich with seven informative SEMINARS. Gateway SEMINARS cover a range of useful and relevant topics on how to get the most out of ourselves and our collections as we progress with the digital age! SEMINAR topics cover everything from information literacy to standards for cataloging images and objects, access to art and architecture journals online, image collections of non-Western materials, and more... To highlight just a few... Negotiate Power! In Sunday's seminar at 10:30 a.m., "Negotiating Power: Online Journals and the Art Librarian" representatives from libraries, access providers, and publishers will discuss how to negotiate license agreements that will accomodate the needs of your users without compromising the rights of your institutions! African art and the cannon! On Monday at 10:30 a.m. entertain possible solutions to the problems encountered in attempting to incorporate African art images into existing collection schemes or in creating new, but VRA Core compatible systems. In the seminar "Cataloging Outside the Canon: Cataloging African Art" a Visual Resources Librarian and Visual Resources Curator will discuss descriptive cataloging schemes for the Arts of Africa with John Nunley, St Louis Art Museum Curator of the Arts of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas. Uncover Buried Treasures! Artists' Files can be an invaluable resource for biographical information, exhibition history, and images, and a particularly rich resource for information on local and regional artists. On Monday at 11:00 a.m., "Buried Treasures: Artist's Files in the Digital Age" panelists will compare strategies for bringing artists' files to light. The many hats of the Solo Professional! In the seminar "Me, Myself, and I" learn about several management techniques that can enrich, strengthen, and sustain your experience as a solo professional! Find out how to understand the corporate culture of the institution, define customer service standards, participate in financial planning and budget development, and advocate for and promote the mission of the library. A solo professional or just the wearer of many hats there is much to be learned here! Need to know more about the conference programs? For full descriptions we encourage you to visit our conference website at http://library.wustl.edu/~beth/Conference.html. If you have any questions about the programs please contact your co-chairs. We look forward to seeing you soon in St Louis! Deborah Ultan ([log in to unmask]) Margaret Webster ([log in to unmask]) ARLIS/NA~VRA 2002 program co-chairs Deborah K. Ultan ph: (612)625-6438 Art/Art History Librarian fax: (612) 626-9353 University of Minnesota email: [log in to unmask] 170b Wilson Library 309 19th Ave South Minneapolis, MN 55455 __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] Administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]