Please excuse cross posting.  For more info on AASL, please see http://www.library.njit.edu/archlib/aasl/
AASL 2002
New Orleans in April!

Sneak Preview

The Association of Architecture School Librarians
Invites you to join us for 2+ days of scintillating discussions,
astute presentations, tours of marvelous places, and
technological feats never before seen!
Did I mention great food?

Where:        Hotel Inter-Continental New Orleans, 444 St. Charles Ave.,
                  504.525.5566.  www.interconti.com
When:          Thursday, April 11th - Sunday April 14th, 2002.
Conference Fee:    $80.00

    Note:  The following is not meant as an exhaustive list of events, nor is it written in stone, as planning is still underway...

The conference kicks off at 2:00 pm Thursday, April 11th as we join our fellow architectural educators for the ACSA welcome address, an introduction to New Orleans by Tulane University, and a lecture by Christine Boyer of Princeton University.  Thursday evening we join ACSA for the President's Reception.

Friday morning we convene in the hotel; then it's off to Tulane via the historic St. Charles streetcar.  We'll travel through the lovely Garden District, which promises to be in bloom by April.  The day at Tulane will include presentations by members and guests, including:

Boyd Childress, Head, Library of Architecture, Design and Construction, Auburn University, Robert McDonald, WEB Development Manager, Auburn University, and Sebastien Arnaud, E-Media Library, Auburn, AL.  Mr. Childress and colleagues will present a new digital slide management, instruction, and presentation tool developed by Auburn in conjunction with the private firm E-Media.  they will demonstrate the system, and talk about the cooperative nature of a digital initiative shared and funded by the Library, College of Architecture, Design and Construction, and the College of Veterinary Medicine.

Janine Henri, Head, Architecture and Planning Library, University of Texas - Austin.
Ms. Henri will introduce us to TARO, the Texas Archival Resources Online.  We will learn how they are converting finding aids from the Alexander Architectural Archive at UT-Austin for the project, and digitizing drawings and photographs to link to the records.

Polly Trump, Architecture Librarian, University of Arizona, Tucson.
Ms. Trump will share insights into Arizona's team management style with respect to a branch architecture library.  She'll also introduce us to the team project she's spearheading called RAP, the Reference Availability Project.

Frances Hecker, Head, Architecture Library, Tulane University.
Ms. Hecker will host us for a look at their architecture library, which is a branch library housed in the School of Architecture.

Gary Van Zante, Curator, Southeastern Architectural Archive, Tulane University.
Mr. Van Zante will be our host through a tour of this marvelous archive, allowing us a glimpse of some of the works housed there.  He will speak to the issues of preservation and conservation, and there will be ample time for discussions regarding these and other archival management issues.

Friday evening there will be a group dinner for those who wish to attend.  We've chosen The Palace Cafe on Canal Street.  www.palacecafe.com

Saturday morning we will begin at the Inter-Continental with a continental breakfast and our business meeting, which we hope everyone plans to attend.  The meeting will be followed by presentations by the following:

Emilie White, Architecture Librarian, Mississippi State University, Starkville.
Ms. White's topic, titled "The Criss Collection:  The Architecture of Christianity", will address collection development using restricted endowment funds.  She will introduce us to the breadth of the collection's scope and the methods used to build the collection over the past ten years.

Barbara Opar, Architecture Librarian, Syracuse University.
Ms. Opar will present "The Architecture Library of the Future...Revisited", in which she will look back on the predictions made in a 1989 book of the same title by Ann Kusnerz, and contrast those predictions against the present.

Ruth Wallach, Architecture and Fine Arts Library, USC, Los Angeles.
Ms. Wallach will present "The Center of the Universe; active learning and the question of library instruction."

Sylvia Harris, Architecture Librarian, Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK.
Ms. Harris will speak about her participation in the RIBA Recommended Books Selection Group, which creates and maintains a list of recommended books for architectural educators and practicing architects.  She will also touch on architectural publishing, and the relationship between the two.

Sarah Legins, Graduate Student, MLS & MS Art/Arch. History, Pratt Institute, NYC.
Ms. Legins will present her thesis research "Alvar Aalto's Libraries".

We are also planning a presentation on local architectural history, and a walking tour for Saturday afternoon, and a tour for Sunday.  More to follow on that, so stay tuned.

A registration form is posted on AASL web.  http://www.library.njit.edu/archlib/aasl/
We hope to see all of you there!

Jacqueline Tygart, Art & Architecture Librarian, Drury University, Springfield, MO