Forwarded from the NINCH list.

>>> NINCH-ANNOUNCE <[log in to unmask]> 1/17/02 2:31:01 PM >>>
NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
from across the Community
January 17, 2002

  International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
                 & International Publishers' Association (IPA)
                        Establish Joint Steering Group

             Librarians and Publishers Work to a Common Agenda
                 <http://www.ifla.org/III/misc/pr310801.htm>

            Publishers and Librarians Promote Common Principles
                 on Copyright in the Electronic Environment
                 <http://www.ifla.org/V/press/ifla-ipa.htm>

Here are some principles hammered out between IFLA and the IPA on
copyright. The announcement below also refers to other joint
statements between these international bodies of librarians and
publishers, including a draft statement on the Archiving and
Preserving of Digital Information.

David Green
===========

*       While the fundamental principles underlying copyright
protection in the print environment remain the same in the electronic
environment (in this sense, "digital is not different"), the Group
recognises that the advent of new technologies has fundamentally
changed methods of publication and dissemination as well as rights
management (in this sense, "digital is different").

*       Bridging the digital divide is best achieved by government
programmes increasing funding for the provision of books and other
publications in libraries as well as for connecting end-users to the
Internet, especially in developing countries and disadvantaged groups
in developed nations.

*       Exceptions and limitations to copyright in the public
interest remain necessary in the electronic environment, in order to
maintain an equitable balance between the rights of creators and
distributors and the needs of users but the nature and extent of
exceptions and limitations must be assessed by applying the three
step test.

*       Libraries are key players in ensuring long-term preservation
archiving of electronic information, through appropriate arrangements
with publishers. However, the conditions of access and other
technical and policy issues require further discussion among stake
holders.

IPA and IFLA will promote the above principles to their respective
memberships (see www.ipa.-uie.org and www.ifla.org )

>Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:26:43 +0100
>From:         Sjoerd Koopman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      IFLA/IPA Statement Archiving Digital Information
>

>The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
>(IFLA) and the International Publishers' Association (IPA) have
>established a joint steering group to work together on matters of
>common interest.
>
>Joint statements have been published recently - see:
>
>"Librarians and publishers working to a common agenda" at:
><http://www.ifla.org/III/misc/pr310801.htm>
>
>and:
>
>"Publishers and librarians promote common principles on copyright in
>the electronic environment " at:
><http://www.ifla.org/V/press/ifla-ipa.htm>
>
>A next statement is under preparation: Joint Statement on the
>Archiving and Preserving of Digital Information (see draft text
>below).
>
>We would like to solicit your opinion about this new statement.
>Please let us have your comments at <[log in to unmask]>.
>
>Thank you in anticipation of your reaction,
>
>Ross Shimmon
>Secretary General IFLA
>
>IFLA HQ
>Prins Willem Alexanderhof 5
>2595 BE The Hague
>Netherlands
>
>Tel: 31-70-3140884
>Fax: 31-70-3834827
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]

"DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION"

INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF LIBRARY ASSOCIATIONS AND INSTITUTIONS

AND

INTERNATIONAL PUBLISHERS ASSOCIATION

JOINT STATEMENT ON THE ARCHIVING AND PRESERVING OF DIGITAL INFORMATION

BACKGROUND
Preserving digital information is becoming an increasingly
urgent challenge for both libraries and publishers,
as the amount of digital information is growing
quickly and preservation policies and techniques
for this format of material have received little or no priority.
While many electronic publications are produced in both
print and digital formats, although not always at the same
time or in identical versions, more and more material is
produced as "born digital", that is, it has no print equivalent.
It is estimated that much of this type of material has
already been lost, as some producers have deleted
their electronic publications without ensuring that a
long-term archiving process was implemented.
The need is pressing. While the costs of long-term
archiving are high, the cost of doing nothing would be
disastrous.

Libraries have traditionally taken care of the
publications they have acquired, and have saved
the physical artifact because they wished to safeguard
the information contained in the artifact.  With digital
information the safeguarding of the content becomes
a shared responsibility between the producer and the
collector of the information.  While both publishers
and libraries are committed to maintaining digital files,
efforts to date are inconsistent, fragmented and
underfunded.

PRINCIPLES AND RECOMMENDATIONS
Both IFLA and IPA wish to work together to obtain
some practical and long-term results in the area of
digital preservation.  They therefore advocate the
following principles and recommendations:

1. An increasing amount of information published
only in electronic form has enduring cultural and
documentary significance and is just as important
as information published in more traditional forms.

2. The long-term availability of this information is
required and action must be taken now to make
this possible.

3. Both organizations will work to make long-term
archiving and preservation a key agenda item
internationally.

4. Both organizations will encourage the development
of industry standards, systems, and research for digital
archiving and preservation, including identifying funding
opportunities to support such work.

5. While publishers generally can ensure the short-term
archiving of their publications so long as these
publications are economically viable, libraries are
best-placed to take responsibility for long-term
archiving through appropriate arrangements with
publishers.

6. Since national libraries have the mandate to
acquire and preserve the published heritage in
their respective countries, and most are experimenting
with the acquisition of digital publications, these
libraries, with other leading libraries and organizations,
should take the lead responsibility for long-term
archiving of digital publications;

7. A publisher/library working group will further
develop joint initiatives regarding the technical,
economic and policy issues of digital preservation.

NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements.
We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and
appreciate reciprocal credit.

For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>