Suzanne Freeman wrote: "...I do hope that we see a united front from all of our various library associations on this issue".

I think that is a great idea, since we certainly won't see any changes on the institutional level w/o some sort of "united front".  What this "front" would look like however  I'm not sure.  Since we occupy vastly diverse institutional and political settings, I don't think any sort of librarians' "union" in the traditional sense would do us much good.  Letters to Mrs. Bush are also a good idea.  I can't imagine a better advocate for librarians right now, provided she is willing to take on our cause.  Personally, I think our main problem stems from a lack of self-promotion.  I think that Americans for the most part have a positive view of and respect for librarians, but the "general public" still knows next to nothing about what we do.  Also under the rubric of self-promotion lies another problem