A book collector e-mailed the following query, to which I did not have an answer.  I wonder if anyone might have some suggestions?
    "Years ago a book dealer friend of mine had a solution that when you put it on a book plate, it would lift it off without hurting the book. Do you know of anything like that?"
    Raymond Smith / R.W. Smith Bookseller
    New Haven, Ct.