Hey, thanks for this.  Of course, like my Barbie and Ken lampoon, it ditches the
OLD stereotype and plays on the stereotype that we ALL must be sexey and
gorgeous.

I think this is interesting.  What audience is the mag reaching?  How many
librarians read it.  In other words, it is reaching an audience that is, probably
-- at least in large part -- NOT librarians.  So, projecting a non-sterotypical
image of a librarian.  Although, I wonder, how non-stereotypical an image is it
for MALE librarians?  There has even been professional literature written about
the image of the male librarian as a GAY MAN.  The idea that is out there is that
any man that becomes a librarian -- working in a feminized profession -- couldn't
POSSIBLY be heterosexual.

It seems we can't get away from stereotypes no matter which way we turn.  BUT, I
am glad to hear about a "non-sterotypical" image of a librarian -- i.e., not a
woman, not old, and minus the bun and sensible shoes!

Actually, when you study this image, it seems to try to appeal to everyone.  Men
will identify with the guy and WANT the bike.  Gay men may want both.  Hetero
women who may read this magazine will go for the guy.  Hetero women who like to
ride bikes will go for one or both.  Women-identified women may go for the bike.
But how many women read this magazine?

Just a comment, no need to write back about this.  Ray Anne Lockard

Stephanie Sueppel wrote:

> Dear Collective Wisdom:
>
> I know that I am coming in late on the librarian image
> disscussion.  In the February 2002 issue of Men's
> Health magazine, there is a Honda ad with a reference
> to a librarian...
>
> "The automotive equivalent of a really hot librarian."
>
> image of a Accord V-6 Coupe
>
> "Good-looking, yet intelligent.  Fun, yet
> sophisticated.  All in a very eye-catching
> 200-horsepower package."
>
> When they mention "hot," I don't think they are
> refering to slow fire in the stacks.
>
> Good or bad? your call.
>
> Stephanie Sueppel
> Art Librarian

Ray Anne Lockard, Head Librarian
Frick Fine Arts Library
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Voice:  412-648-2411
Fax:  412-648-7568
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

"A book should be a ball of light in one's hands."
Ezra Pound