  Thanks for directing me to the list.  While I am not overwhelmed about the
Mona Lisa being on the list, I am a bit taken aback that Berthe Morisot is
the only woman in the top one hundred.  I'm sure we can all suggest
paintings by women throughout history that could hold a place in the top one
hundred.  I post this not as a "pc" agenda.  I am a painter myself and look
for nutrition in paintings that represent a woman's perspective and voice.
I'm not  just advocating "Artemesia holds her own" with other baroque
painters."  What I mean is, we should question what the criteria are for
defining what makes a great painting.

  I love most of the paintings on the list.  I don't need to denigrate
someone else's culture by calling it irrelevant, but what are the parameters
operant in this system of deciding the most commodious works?  As
librarians, we're going to help shape the future by asking these questions,
I hope.  Of course, we also seek to while preserve and respect the past and
more traditional viewpoints.   Anything less would be censorship.

  (I am reading a great book, We Weren't Modern Enough... about women
artists in Weimar Germany which touches on the relationship of visual
aesthetics and politics and gender.  )  Just wanted to throw that out there.

  Jean Boggs
  Pratt Institute Library
  Library Clerk and Library Science Student