Hi again,
I really am very excited to see this serious discussion come up. Perhaps
it is not a new topic, though in my 9 years or so of being on the list,
I have not seen it as a discussion. And I agree we are preaching to the
converted, but perhaps, all our machinations will help us to arrive at a
consensus with some teeth in it, or at least a succinct statement of the
obvious.....

I have just taken a look at the Library of Congress' webpage, and the
job listings. It is a real eyeopener, since techincians are listed at
GS-7 which pays between $31 and $40 K a year. Professional jobs seem to
have GS 9, 10, or 11 ratings, with GS 9salaries starting at around $40K,
and GS 11  at $46- $60K. Also, there are promotional possibilities(what
a concet!) at the GS 13 level, which pays over $75K.

Well, just thought I would throw this into the mix....someone told me
that the federal salaries are getting a 4.9% raise this year so that the
"public sector salaries more closely match those in  the private
sector."  HA.

Hope your blood is boiling....

Anne

Anne Haas