Rachel,
There's a brief snippet on him in Christopher Wood's Victorian Painters
with an illustration of his painting Fidelity, but I couldn't find much
else.  On the website for ArtMagick, "Saint George and the Dragon" is
illustrated at http://artmagick.com/artists/riviere3.asp (located at the
bottom).  However, since no location is listed as compared to the other
works where the museum is listed, I would tend to think the work might be
in a private collection, which often turns out to be the case with many
Victorian works.
         -- Roberto

>Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:19:16 -0600
>From: Rachel Crane <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [ARLIS-L] Briton Riviere
>
>I am trying to locate the whereabouts of the Briton Riviere (1840-1920)
>work: "Saint George and the Dragon" for an inquiring patron who would like
>to track down a reproduction.  I have checked in the Grove Dictionary of
>Art and other standard reference sources, but our collection lacks more
>in-depth information on British artists of this era.  From standard
>reference sources it has been noted that most of his works resided in
>British collections.  I have also checked with the Victoria and Albert
>Museum, who checked the Tate catalogues and the Bridgeman Art Library, but
>without success.  Does anyone have any further advice on where I might
>check or have any familiarity with this work?    Any hints would be greatly
>appreciated.

Roberto C. Ferrari
Head of Access Services
Arts & Humanities Librarian