Elise sort of touches on something that has been going through my mind as
I'm reading these comments on MLIS students.  Perhaps we should start
thinking outside the box.  Although I've had my MLIS for 20 years, I have
been slowly working on my MA in art history at Cal State Northridge.  I am a
member of the Art History Students Assn. & have volunteered to put together
a panel of ARLIS members from, say, a museum library, an art school library,
a slide collection, etc.  to interest art history students who may be
saying, what am I going to do with my degree?  Here is an alternative they
usually don't consider.  I do know of one student who (not through my
influence) did decide to go on to library school. My panel idea has never
quite gotten off - they want to hear from a PhD. about those programs. One
may think, well, MA's don't want to think about another degree.  But what
about people who are considering PhD.'s? It gives them a [practical]
alternative. Many of us can testify to that!

What I'm saying is perhaps ARLIS chapters should think about approaching art
departments in some way, for example, some sort of presentation.

Marti Pike
Woodbury University Library
Burbank, CA  91510
(818)767-0888 x259  Fax (818)767-4534