Another advantage of student groups is to create
institutional memory within MLIS programs. Even though
a student may be involved in regional/national
chapters, that participation may not be known to her
fellow students. Once she graduates, her expertise
would be lost to the department.

If there had been a student group, however, she could
have attracted other students to ARLIS and passed on
her knowledge and contacts to the next cohort. MLIS
programs are  short (1-2 years), so there is not much
crossover between different cohorts. Having a faculty
advisor and a formal structure would help foster
continuity.

I am about to graduate from UCLA. I wish that I had
started a chapter here because I have been been
surprised (and gladdened) at the number of my fellow
students who attend ARLIS functions, including last
year's conference.

--Heather Cleary