At 11:56 AM 1/4/2002 -0500, Georgia Kuchen wrote:
>I've noticed regular emails from GORDON's promoting their products under the
>guise of special news for ARLIS members, even requested by ARLIS members.
>This is a creative form of advertising, but I think ARLIS ListeServe
>messages should be edited if the commercial members continue to use it as a
>selling platform.

>   So, I don't think List Serve
>should be abused as a free advertising medium that clogs our email.
Peter Hastings Falk

The listserv definitely should not be used for advertising.  I agree and I
do catch many advertisements before they hit the list.  However, there are
many that I miss and probably ones that I don't see before they go to the
list.  This is due to the new set up where members of the list have
postings sent automatically unless their subscription is set for review.  I
have on occasion set a subscription for review if I feel that an individual
is using the list for advertising rather than professional discussion.  I
want to thank Peter for bringing this up and encourage anyone to email me
directly if they feel someone is not using the list correctly.  These
situations are easily handled.

Thanks,
Kerri Scannell
ARLIS-L Moderator

Kerri A. Scannell
Fine Arts Librarian, Technical Services
Lucille C. Little Fine Arts Library and Learning Center
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506-0224
(859) 257-4630