I apologize, but the link I included in my last message only works if you
are a registered subscriber to the Chronicle.  I didn't want to paste the
entire article into a message for copyright reasons.  However, here is a
posting I got this morning and I am posting it to you with permission from
AMS-L. Kerri

January 29, 2002
The National Endowent for the Arts released sad news today of the passing of
Michael Hammond, the newly confirmed NEA Chairman, who took office on
January 22, 2002. The NEA has asked that all media inquiries be passed on
to its Communications Office at 202.682.5570. The following official
statement was just issued by NEA Communications Director Mark Weinberg:
"With the deepest regret we announce the death of Michael P. Hammond,
Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts. It is a tragic loss for
our nation that his tenure has been cut so short. All of us at the NEA had
looked forward to his leadership, and we join our colleagues in the arts
community in mourning his passing."
***********
The following statement was issued today by Robert L. Lynch, President and
CEO of Americans for the Arts:
"I was deeply saddened to learn of the sudden death last night of Michael
Hammond, who had been Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts for
just one week. All of us at Americans for the Arts had been buoyed by his
appointment as Chairman, because of his lifelong devotion to the arts and to
arts education. I had the opportunity to meet with him last week to begin
planning how best to work together on what he described as 'fostering an
appetite for the arts for every American.' I was impressed with his
enthusiasm and commitment and looked forward eagerly to working with him on
many shared priorities.
As a distinguished educator, composer, conductor, and champion of the arts,
Michael Hammond brought a wide range of talents to the role of Chairman, and
his appointment held great promise. The world of the arts is diminished by
his departure but blessed by his lifelong dedication and contribution. At
Americans for the Arts, we will continue to work to fulfill the hope we
shared with Chairman Hammond that Americans will see the arts as a public
good and understand the importance of the arts in the lives of our nation's
children."

Kerri A. Scannell
Fine Arts Librarian, Technical Services
Lucille C. Little Fine Arts Library and Learning Center
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506-0224
(859) 257-4630