We keep them on the books.
Mona Chapin
Cincinnati Art Museum

-----Original Message-----
From: Shannon Van Kirk [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 3:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Book jacket collections?

All,
A colleague and I have been thinking about our growing digital
collection
of book jackets (we make them available to enhance our New Books list).
As
he said, "I hope I'm not opening a new line of attack for Nicholson
Baker,
but does anyone know of a library that systematically collects dust
jackets
and maintains the collection?"

In my experience, most libraries seem to use them for projects or
displays,
or simply dispose of them.  Certainly it would be a complex project to
collect, preserve, catalog and index dust jackets, and any library's
collection would be only a sampling of publishers' production.

On the other hand, there are several collections, exhibition catalogs,
and
books devoted
to individual collectors, designers, publishers, and genres (science
fiction or romance jacket art, for example), and it looks (from WorldCat
records) as though a few libraries have tried at one time or another to
develop collections.

As long as I'm posting this question to the list, I might as well try to
turn it into a discussion. Should libraries try to collect dust jackets?
Why? How?  Has your library thought about/done this?

Thanks for any leads and comments,
--shannon
Shannon Van Kirk
Head, Art & Architecture Library